Progress – Projection

For me to represent “being silenced,” I wish to tape my mouth shut and project a video of my lips onto the tape. The projection of my lips would be revealing thoughts, feelings and a state of mind and being whilst I am physically muted. This is as though the present and the past are colliding. Before I solidify this idea, I needed first to experiment with projection. With the video that I had already recorded, I then got myself into a studio and linked the video to a projector, using a piece of paper as the substitute for the tape. I found that I needed to be less than 30cm away from the projector for it to even fit the paper in alignment with my face. This was now a concern that I would need to think about for further experimentation. Considering that I don’t want to be sat on stage with a projector in front of my face, it would mean that a great deal of formatting of the video would need to be completed in order to properly align the video to the small surface area, that is the tape over my lips. Unless of course, I get help from the technicians to set up a projector from afar. Another concern was that the tape would be of different consistency to the paper meaning that the result of the projection would be different also. This meant that I needed to get hold of the tape very soon to practice and I also need to discuss my idea with the technicians to see whether or not my idea is possible. I have now scheduled a time to explore the tech and will update my progress on my next blog.